Monday, May 16, 2011

It's now time to check your brakes...

 I need to set the record straight, my customer purchased the bike in this condition and called me to fix it. Please let this be a warning that when you buy a used bike, have it inspected by a professional mechanic before you ride your new used bike.

This is for real.  A customer called me out to restore his 2000 600 katana. As a safety check, I check tires, brakes, axels, electrical, controls, clutch. and a bunch of other stuff.  I was adjusting and lubricating the bikes chain, and I heard a loud grinding noise as I spun the rear wheel. Need I say more.  Yes I restore brakes too, and that is what I had to do.The first photo is of a very worn, well grooved pad that needs replaced, the second is what is left of what was a brake pad. This scenario in the right conditions can lock up your rear wheel and throw you into the path of a semitruck. Have your brakes inspected by a professional 3-4 times a year.

1 comment:

  1. The brakes are one thing that no one give much importance while purchasing some pre -owned bikes. I am also searching for some motorcycle mechanic, who can help me in the inspection of the pre-owned bike before I purchase it.

    ReplyDelete